Wednesday, August 22, 2012

THE LONG AND WINDING BLOG

There's nothing quite like moving to a new apartment to prove just how dependent on internet you have become. It's not like I couldn't go for a lovely walk around the lake just blocks from my house. It's not like I couldn't continue reading the 3 or so books I've already started or unpack the 10 or so boxes in my dining room. I could do all of these things without internet and pass an evening quite quickly.

But let's be real... I need internet.

I am going to do the gutsy thing and assume I know enough about IT to install everything myself this week from a kit from Comcast I just ordered. This will most likely end in failure, but until that time I remain optimistic and a resident CIIS cafe customer for my lunch hour until general internet access improves. Who needs fresh air anyway? It's just cold and windy out there on the San Francisco streets, which reminds one further of the (apparently not 100% validated) Mark Twain quote ""The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

He should have moved east to Oakland.

It was so perfect this weekend while Matt and I moved all the heavy things up several flights of stairs. We didn't even break a sweat and even managed to totally empty the truck by 10:45 allowing us ample time to go to brunch, hit up a couple of independent book stores - a comic shop literally right next to a sci fi/fantasy book shop was an amazing find! - and pack up even more things from Andrew and Rogelio's apartment (namely clothing and computer things). I think it maxed out around 72 degrees with a cloudless sky and constant cool breeze.

This morning was a little on the cooler side and I noticed on my walk to the BART that the end of my street actually hosts a pick up point for the famous and unofficial casual carpool program where happy motorists pull up and a line of commuters pile in any free spot and take the bay bridge over to Oakland allowing car-less people to get into the city for free and car commuters get to bypass the long wait by going in the carpool lane with a reduced fair. It really is a fascinating thing to witness though I still admit to some reserve on the whole thing, not to mention a complete naivete toward the unspoken rules and regulations. It seems like no one talks to each other in line? And the first person always rides shotgun? And a drop-off point is prearranged? I dunno, but I like that it exists just like I like that CIIS exists. Only in San Francisco.

Next up will have to be posts from the new place so stay tuned!

These Weeks at a Glance

Ate/Drank:

Make Westing with coworkers a couple of Fridays ago. They have super creative cocktails and a botchi ball lane inside!

Philz Coffee they are so snobby and so fabulous - exactly the kind of place I love with a big ego and the goods to match it

Balo Vietnamese Cuisine best $5 bahn mi I've ever had! Also great iced coffee and super friendly staff. Take that, Lee's!

Saw:

Bourne Legacy and so should you! It was so surprisingly substantive and the trifecta of Renner, Weisz, and Norton fuckin worked!

Explored:

My new digs and the Budget Rental lot near Fruitvale? I've been too busy I guess....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment