Tuesday, July 31, 2012

HUGS FROM STRANGERS

Okay, so I hereby promise myself to do my damndest to never have to work more than 5 days in a row again because it is both exhausting and soul-sucking. Since last posting I finished up at The Creamery/Iron Cactus in a marathon of 8-10 hour shifts. These shifts just so happened to have taken place during a run of Giants vs. Dodgers games and were the absolute busiest, manic, and asshole-filled of my short, 1-month employment. It rather reminded me of that feeling I had finishing up my undergraduate degree. I had initially been hoping for and planning on an easy last semester of maybe 1 or 2 required courses and loads of fun, fluffer courses that I had always wanted to take. Instead it was something like 15 upper division required courses chalk full of presentations, papers, and heavy exam schedules that made me want to cry and tear all of my hair out. That is kind of how I feel about food service now. Uh, check please.

So, that being over with I am now free to soak up the work flow and office culture of the CIIS Financial Aid department. I just finished up my second day of work and can now safely say that Financial Aid is an incredibly complicated web of technical jargon, government software programs, deadlines, and delivering of bad news. I cannot imagine doing this full time in a massive, state university. CIIS only has 1400 students and it already seems like too much. Then again, there are now only two counselors including myself so that could be part of the reason.

Thankfully, everyone (both staff and students alike) is very sweet, approachable, and slightly whacky as only a San Francisco based private university community founded on skewed Eastern practices can be. I must have shook about 50 hands yesterday and met everyone who happened to be at their desk at the time. I got a tour of the various department locations, classrooms, staff lounges, cafe, and zen garden. The meditation room, sadly, is now being turned into an office space. The atmosphere is incredibly relaxed and friendly as seen today by the smiley face emoticons in emails and IM's, offers of free Starbucks, and the giving of a random hug from a Drama Therapy student who had inquired after the dude who occupied my desk before me and, having heard that I was his replacement, gave me the hug she had intended for him. When I mentioned this to my co-worker she just nodded and said that I should expect that.

This Week at a Glance

Ate:

El Zocalo - oh my god, pupusas, where have you been all my life? Have you had these? If not then may I seriously recommend that you search for your nearest Salvadorian restaurant and get to eating them.

The Plant Cafe  - went here with the lovable Kenton and Sidney who surprised me at The Creamery last Friday. This place had a sweet view of the wharf, tasty cuisine, and nice decor. Definitely recommend for breakfast!

Ted's Market - taken here by my lovely co-worker Cathy and immediately impressed by the huge line of people and the wall of menu items. I went with the Jamaican Chicken sandwich, and will continue to go back until I have had all the things.

Cumaica Cafe - the city is chock-a-block full of coffee shops that also serve out sandwiches and things. This one is alright and is the closest eatery to CIIS. I imagine they will get my custom semi-regularly.

Saw:

The US Men's water polo team defeat Montenegro and then be jaw droppingly gorgeous in a post-game interview. I am trying to stream all of the various sports and am having a damned time of it. Thanks for nothing NBC...

Dark Knight Rises (again) though it felt like the first time. Oh what a difference a functioning sound system and giant screen makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment