At present, I am sitting on Karen's white leather sofa admiring her amazing view of Lake Merritt and downtown Oakland on a wondrously sunny day.
Karen is a good friend of Robin who lives above Andrew and Rogelio just 1/2 a block away. I met Karen on Tuesday and quite happily agreed to stay at her place this week while she is in DC and watch her two lovely cats Max and Adele.
![]() |
They have been in roughly these same positions of repose for the last hour or so. Outside the window there are people running, walking, lounging on the grass, watching boaters, playing music, driving, shopping, etc. The lake is very much the center of this little community and boasts a Saturday farmer's market, a botanical garden, a boating and rowing club, a jogging path, thousands of geese, and a little place called Fairyland. On Wednesday afternoon I thought I would take part in some fresh air and exercise and set off to jog around the lake, which I was told was 3 miles.
This lake is not 3 miles.
Unbeknownst to me, in the sort of northwest corner bit completely hidden from view is a huge curved bit of lake that is home to a place called Fairyland (sadly, not yet explored). The lake, which I assumed was vaguely circular turns out to me more of a paint splatter shape (think gak container from the 90s). At about 1.7 miles and apparently nowhere near the halfway point, I turned back the way I'd came and so did not jog the circumference of the lake. But I will.
More fresh air and exercise was had yesterday when I met up with Andrew and Rogelio to go for a hike in the Redwood Regional Park only a mere 10 miles from where I am staying. Imagine my total elation in being shown this place. REDWOOD FOREST ONLY 10 MILES AWAY!
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
These trees and I will be fast friends. My plan is to go hiking there at least once a week though the exact day might change because this morning I got a job! Andrew so very sweetly talked me up to his boss Iver at The Creamery and I start training next week. I will be making coffee, pouring pints, waiting tables, and, most importantly, be helping Iver set up a long-term green business strategy! In addition to my shifts at The Creamery, I will also be working from home on a marketing and development plan and Iver already indicated that he has several greenbiz contacts and will pass my resume around to people he knows informing them that they best hire me "before I get snatched up by someone else."
Week at a Glance
Ate at:
House of Curries (Indian food yum, yum, yum)
King Yen (great Chinese - finally!)
Burma Superstar! (Name says it all)
Saw:
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel at Piedmont Theatre - opened in 1917!
Explored:
Lake Merritt Boating Center
Grand Lake Farmers' Market
Redwood Regional Park







Sounds lovely and relaxing. Congrats on the new job and future prospects in the area you are interested in! Nice coincidence! Also... kitties! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks my love! I am excited about everything and would be happy to get you and Neal jobs as well if you move up here to. Please move up here.... please :)
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, why do the kitties meow at you repeatedly? I don't speak cat and I really can't figure it out I mean they have food, they have water, they have a litter box, and they have been petted and played with repeatedly. I thought they were supposed to ignore you and sleep.
Such wonderful happenings in just a week! Surely this foretells greatness ahead. Congrats on the awesome gig and the great housesitting opportunity, have fun, my love!
ReplyDeleteIt was a really special first week :) Missing you and hoping you are well, my dear!
DeleteYay! I'm so happy that you are getting situated so fast. I am so jealous of the your hike in the redwoods. Yes, Jared and I definitely want to come up and visit. Congrats on the new job as well. Sounds really fun and love that you are going to be a part of a green project for your work. Oh and some cats love to talk for no reason. Clover does that sometimes... well most of the times she is telling me something like, she threw up somewhere or water bowl needs more water or feeder is low. When I leave the room she'll meow for me to come back. And from time to time she is just meowing away for no reason. I'm still trying to figure it out sometimes.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, looking forward to your up coming adventures.
After checking the various water bowls, litter box, and food, I figured Max just really wanted a cuddle or to hear the sound of his own voice. Probably the latter...
DeleteHope you are well and hope that I can see you and Jared next week when I am down for my dad's wedding.